- What are the contraindications for using AcceleDent? Do not prescribe AcceleDent for a patient using any osteoporosis drugs, with poor oral hygiene as determined by a dental professional, or has periodontal disease that is not under full control for at least 3-4 months prior to the start of treatment.
- Is there a greater risk of root resorption by using AcceleDent than not? After 5 years on the market and more than 86,000 units shipped and no adverse events reported, it is generally recognized that AcceleDent does not impact root resorption.
- Can AcceleDent be prescribed to patients with TADs? Yes, studies have shown no difference in TAD failure rates between patients that used AcceleDent and those that did not. Please refer to the Bowman article in the November 2016 issue of the Journal of Clinical Orthodontics, “The Effect of Vibration on Molar Distalization” or our summary available here.
- Can the mouthpiece be modified? The Mouthpiece should be adjusted for patient comfort only if it is impinging on the cheeks or tongue. It is highly recommended that the patient quickly tests the appliance in the “On” position while in the office. For Mouthpiece size evaluation purposes, the sensation of the vibratory force may allow patients to better report the feeling of fit and comfort. The sides or back can be trimmed to fit smaller mouths. The video “Adjusting AcceleDent for a Functional Appliance” located at AcceleDent.com/orthodontists/product-videos/ may be used as a guide. As demonstrated in a study by Dr. Dawei Liu from Marquette University, vibrations are highly transmissible and maintain nearly the same magnitude of force throughout the dentition even when not all teeth are touching the mouthpiece. At least 2 points of contact, one on each side, should ensure there is a closed loop between left/right sides for sufficient transmission of AcceleDent’s pulsatile forces.
- Can AcceleDent be used during phase 1 treatment and then again during phase 2, for the same patient? Yes. Use can be stopped and resumed as needed during times of active orthodontic treatment, but the device will only work for 2 years.
- Why can’t the practice view the patient’s data? The practice must be linked to the patient in order to view a patient’s data. There are three ways to add patients:
- The practice can scan package barcodes using the mobile app to link the device directly to the practice. When the patient registers and links their device, the practice will automatically be connected. The practice can scan multiple devices into the app at any time, allowing for an easy workflow and quick patient connection.
- The practice may invite the patient through the app or web portal through an email link. When the patient accepts the invitation, the link will be established.
- The practice can also do nothing and wait for the patient to register, link their device and then invite the practice through the app email link.
- How can a patient be removed from Usage Library when he/she has finished treatment? From the Usage Library tap/click on the patient to bring up his/her Dashboard, the option to archive is located within the Information icon.
- What does Account ID mean? This the practice’s OrthoAccel account number.
- How does AcceleDent Aura work? By inserting the Mouthpiece – fitted around your existing fixed braces or clear aligners – and turning on the Activator for 20 minutes every day, AcceleDent Aura can speed up tooth movement by using SoftPulse Technology®. Faster tooth movement may decrease the duration of your orthodontic treatment and can even help to make your orthodontics more comfortable.
- Is AcceleDent Aura safe? Yes. AcceleDent with SoftPulse Technology® has been demonstrated safe and reliable in U.S. clinical trials.
- How is the orthodontic treatment accelerated? Your orthodontics work on their own by moving your teeth in specific directions. AcceleDent Aura uses SoftPulse Technology® to generate small vibrations, or micropulses, enhancing the movements directed by your orthodontics, allowing for faster tooth movement.
- How do I know if I am biting into the Mouthpiece correctly and with the right amount of force? Bite pressure on the Mouthpiece should be just firm enough to hold AcceleDent Aura in place without using your hands. Avoid biting forcibly on the Mouthpiece as that may cause excessive wear.
- Can I try to wear AcceleDent Aura while I am sleeping? No. It is not recommended that AcceleDent Aura be used while sleeping.
- Can I wear my AcceleDent Aura when it is charging or connected to a computer? No, do not wear your AcceleDent Aura when it is charging or connected to a computer.
- Do I have to do the full 20 minute treatment at one time? Yes. It is recommended that you use your AcceleDent Aura for a continuous 20 minute period each day.
- If I absolutely have to interrupt the 20 minute session for a few minutes, when I turn my AcceleDent Aura back on, does it remember how long I used it? Yes. AcceleDent Aura will remember how long you used it as long as the interruption does not exceed five minutes. After five minutes of being turned off, AcceleDent Aura will work for a full session of 20 minutes at its next use.
- If I use AcceleDent Aura for more than the recommended 20 minute treatment time, does it add incremental benefit? No. Additional daily use greater than the prescribed 20 minutes duration is not recommended.
- How often does AcceleDent Aura need to be recharged? The Activator should be recharged every three days.
- What is the best way to clean AcceleDent Aura? The Mouthpiece should first be disconnected from the Activator and then rinsed well with lukewarm water after each use. You may occasionally use a soft liquid dishwashing detergent, a mild soap, or toothpaste to gently brush the Mouthpiece. The Activator can be wiped with a soft cloth as necessary. It is recommended that you allow AcceleDent Aura to air dry before being stored in the Travel Case. Do not place the Mouthpiece or the Activator in a dishwasher as this will void the warranty and could cause damage to the product.
- Can I use my AcceleDent Aura in the shower? No. AcceleDent Aura is not water resistant and should not be
used in the shower.
- Can I sanitize my AcceleDent Aura and share it with a friend or family member who also has braces? No. AcceleDent Aura is a FDA cleared, single-user prescription device. Sharing the AcceleDent Aura and/or the Mouthpiece is prohibited. Your orthodontist prescribed AcceleDent Aura for your use only, based upon your unique orthodontic treatment plan. Use of AcceleDent Aura without the supervision and direction of an orthodontist may result in adverse unintended consequences.
- What type of battery does AcceleDent Aura contain? The rechargeable battery in AcceleDent Aura is a medical grade lithium ion battery.
- What should I do with my AcceleDent Aura once treatment is finished? You should dispose of your AcceleDent Aura as you would with any other device with a rechargeable battery. Reference the “Disposal” section of the Directions for Use manual for further details.
- Is my AcceleDent Aura under warranty? Yes, the warranty details can be found in the Directions for Use manual, click here.
- What does it mean if my Activator stops working and the LED Indicator is flashing alternating green and orange? The Activator will deactivate after completing the equivalent of 18 months of 20 minute daily sessions. If you are in the middle of a treatment plan please contact your orthodontist.
- Why did the date change on my FastTrac Usage Report? If your Activator battery is fully drained and the Activator shuts down (no flashing LED Indicator or vibrations), the date on the Usage Report will reset to January 1, 2012. This only happens if the Activator has not been used. The battery has to be charged when the LED indicates a low battery (shown when the LED Indicator is quickly flashing orange and the Activator is powered on but not charging). For Activators with completed sessions, the time will be reset to the date based on the last session completed. Refer to the FastTrac Usage Report section in the Directions for Use to reset the date, click here.