- How does AcceleDent Optima work? By inserting the Mouthpiece, fitted around your existing fixed braces or clear aligners, and turning on the Activator for 20 minutes every day, AcceleDent Optima can speed up tooth movement by using SoftPulse Technology®. Faster tooth movement can decrease the duration of your orthodontic treatment and may help to make your orthodontics more comfortable.
- Is AcceleDent Optima safe? Yes. AcceleDent with SoftPulse Technology has been demonstrated safe and reliable in U.S. clinical trials.
- Can I take my AcceleDent Optima on an airplane? In general, all batteries in all forms of transportation (ground, air or ocean) must be packaged in a safe and responsible manner. Regulatory concerns from all agencies for safe packaging require that batteries be packaged in a manner that prevents short circuits and be contained in “strong outer packaging” that prevents spillage of contents. AcceleDent has been designed to be compliant with these regulatory concerns.
- Does Ibuprofen use affect AcceleDent efficiency? Occasional use of ibuprofen/naproxen is not a contraindication of AcceleDent use. There have been studies in orthodontics in general about NSAID use that show a decrease in osteoclastic activity which may reduce the rate of tooth movement, but there have not been specific studies with AcceleDent. We recommend the doctor take these general studies into consideration, and at their discretion they may recommend alternative pain relief medications.
- How do I register for my warranty? Download the AcceleDent App and sign up as a patient, follow the prompts on the app for to sync your device to your account and register your warranty or call AcceleDent Customer Service for assistance.
- Is AcceleDent eligible under my Healthcare Savings Account (HSA)? When prescribed by a licensed dental professional, AcceleDent may be eligible under your HSA; however, it is always a good idea to check with your HSA Plan Administrator.
- What should I do with my AcceleDent Optima once treatment is finished? In order to protect and preserve our environment, the Activator Assembly, Charging Case, USB Cable and Power Adapter should be disposed of at a designated collection facility for batteries and other electrical devices like cell phones, computers, video games and electronic tools.
- Do I have to do the full 20 minute treatment at one time? Yes. It is recommended that you use your AcceleDent Optima for a continuous 20 minute period each day.
Use and Care
- If I use AcceleDent Optima for more than the recommended 20-minute treatment time, does it add incremental benefit? Additional use has not been tested or determined to provide incremental benefit.
- Can I use my AcceleDent Optima in the shower? Yes. The AcceleDent Optima Activator is waterproof and can be used in the shower.
- Should aligners be removed or kept on during AcceleDent use? AcceleDent micropulse vibration works on a cellular level to motivate tooth movement, so aligners do not need to be on for AcceleDent to work. Lightly biting on the mouthpiece may help ensure that the aligners have the optimal points of contact with the teeth. Please refer to your orthodontist for recommendations for your specific treatment plan.
- How many times can I pause during a session? You may pause the session up to 6 times. The timer will automatically turn the Activator off and reset the session time on the 7th time the On/Off button is pressed.
- How do I know if I am biting into the Mouthpiece correctly and with the right amount of force? Bite pressure on the Mouthpiece should be just firm enough to hold AcceleDent Optima in place without using your hands. Avoid biting forcibly on the Mouthpiece as that may cause excessive wear. Try relaxing your jaw and facial muscles, while maintaining enough force to stabilize the Mouthpiece, this will improve comfort.
- Can I sanitize my AcceleDent Optima and share it with a friend or family member who also has braces? No. AcceleDent Optima is a FDA cleared, single-user prescription device. Sharing is prohibited for your safety. Your orthodontist prescribed AcceleDent Optima for your use only, based upon your unique orthodontic treatment plan. Use of AcceleDent Optima without the supervision and direction of an orthodontist may result in adverse unintended consequences.
- Is AcceleDent Optima waterproof? The AcceleDent Activator is IP67 and is waterproof. The Charging case is IP32 and is not waterproof.
- What should I do if the Activator will not turn on? First, make sure that the Activator is charged. Place the Activator securely in the Charging Case and ensure it is plugged in to wall power using the provided AcceleDent power adapter and USB cord. If the Activator LED turns orange, then the Charging Case and the Activator are working properly and may just need to be charged further. If the Activator LED indicator does not light up, please check your Charging Case’s power connection. If the Charging Case is properly plugged in, please contact OrthoAccel Customer Service for further assistance.
- What should I do if the Activator will not charge? If the Activator LED indicator does not light up orange when placed securely in the Charging Case, please check the Charging Case’s power connection. If the Charging Case is properly plugged in to wall power using the provided AcceleDent power adapter and USB cord, please contact OrthoAccel Customer Service for further assistance.
- What if the Activator will not start and the light is blinking orange and blue? The Activator will deactivate after completing the equivalent of 24 months of 20-minute daily sessions. If you are in the middle of a treatment plan, please contact your orthodontist.
- What if the mouthpiece is too big? The AcceleDent Optima mouthpiece is designed to be easily modified by your Orthodontist. Please contact your Orthodontist and they will be able to modify the mouthpiece to fit you better.
- What if my teeth don’t touch the mouthpiece all the way? As demonstrated in a study by Dr. Dawei Liu of Marquette University, vibrations are highly transmissible and maintain nearly the same magnitude of force throughout the dentition even when not all teeth are touching the mouthpiece. At least 2 points of contact, one on each side, should ensure there is a closed loop between left/right sides for sufficient transmission of AcceleDent’s pulsatile forces.
- Do I need to use the AcceleDent App? The AcceleDent App was developed to provide doctors and patients an easy way to track usage and provide motivation during your orthodontic treatment. It is not mandatory for AcceleDent use, but your Orthodontist may strongly recommend its use so that they can easily see if you will be experiencing the intended faster treatment by using your AcceleDent for the recommended 20 minutes every day. The app is also an easy way to register your warrant and connect with your practice through the app’s messaging feature.
- What do I do if I forget my password?
- In Mobile App or Web Browser click on Forgot password link
- Enter your email address. (The Mobile App/Web Portal will then check to see if email address is in valid format. An error message will be presented if there is no match, otherwise continue.
- Now, check your email for a message from OrthoAccel.
- Click the link which brings you to a change password Browser page sent by OrthoAccel.
- Update your password.
- You may now go back to APP/Web Portal to log back in with your new password.
- How can I pair my Activator if I no longer have access to the packaging? Use the barcode located on the bottom of your Charging Case. Make sure you have good lighting to use this barcode.
- What if my Activator won’t sync?
- First make sure that you have internet and Bluetooth connection turned on.
- Next make sure that your Activator is charged or is in the process of charging.
- Your Activator must be nearby your mobile device and “working” to sync properly.
- If you still have problems after checking the above, please contact OrthoAccel Customer Service and we will be happy to walk you through syncing.
- I typically have Bluetooth turned off. Can I disable my Bluetooth and just sync when I’m ready to turn it back on? Bluetooth does need to be enabled on your device in order for AcceleDent to sync to the App. But if you usually leave Bluetooth off on your phone, AcceleDent will store your data for 30 entries until it can sync with your device again. As long as you enable Bluetooth on your device with your AcceleDent nearby, you can successfully sync your data when you want.
- How many mobile devices can I have the AcceleDent App downloaded on? A maximum of 5 devices can be used with your AcceleDent account.
- How does AcceleDent Aura work? By inserting the Mouthpiece – fitted around your existing fixed braces or clear aligners – and turning on the Activator for 20 minutes every day, AcceleDent Aura can speed up tooth movement by using SoftPulse Technology®. Faster tooth movement may decrease the duration of your orthodontic treatment and can even help to make your orthodontics more comfortable.
- Is AcceleDent Aura safe? Yes. AcceleDent with SoftPulse Technology® has been demonstrated safe and reliable in U.S. clinical trials.
- How is the orthodontic treatment accelerated? Your orthodontics work on their own by moving your teeth in specific directions. AcceleDent Aura uses SoftPulse Technology® to generate small vibrations, or micropulses, enhancing the movements directed by your orthodontics, allowing for faster tooth movement.
- How do I know if I am biting into the Mouthpiece correctly and with the right amount of force? Bite pressure on the Mouthpiece should be just firm enough to hold AcceleDent Aura in place without using your hands. Avoid biting forcibly on the Mouthpiece as that may cause excessive wear.
- Can I try to wear AcceleDent Aura while I am sleeping? No. It is not recommended that AcceleDent Aura be used while sleeping.
- Can I wear my AcceleDent Aura when it is charging or connected to a computer? No, do not wear your AcceleDent Aura when it is charging or connected to a computer.
- Do I have to do the full 20 minute treatment at one time? Yes. It is recommended that you use your AcceleDent Aura for a continuous 20 minute period each day.
- If I absolutely have to interrupt the 20 minute session for a few minutes, when I turn my AcceleDent Aura back on, does it remember how long I used it? Yes. AcceleDent Aura will remember how long you used it as long as the interruption does not exceed five minutes. After five minutes of being turned off, AcceleDent Aura will work for a full session of 20 minutes at its next use.
- If I use AcceleDent Aura for more than the recommended 20 minute treatment time, does it add incremental benefit? No. Additional daily use greater than the prescribed 20 minutes duration is not recommended.
- How often does AcceleDent Aura need to be recharged? The Activator should be recharged every three days.
- What is the best way to clean AcceleDent Aura? The Mouthpiece should first be disconnected from the Activator and then rinsed well with lukewarm water after each use. You may occasionally use a soft liquid dishwashing detergent, a mild soap, or toothpaste to gently brush the Mouthpiece. The Activator can be wiped with a soft cloth as necessary. It is recommended that you allow AcceleDent Aura to air dry before being stored in the Travel Case. Do not place the Mouthpiece or the Activator in a dishwasher as this will void the warranty and could cause damage to the product.
- Can I use my AcceleDent Aura in the shower? No. AcceleDent Aura is not water resistant and should not be
used in the shower.
- Can I sanitize my AcceleDent Aura and share it with a friend or family member who also has braces? No. AcceleDent Aura is a FDA cleared, single-user prescription device. Sharing the AcceleDent Aura and/or the Mouthpiece is prohibited. Your orthodontist prescribed AcceleDent Aura for your use only, based upon your unique orthodontic treatment plan. Use of AcceleDent Aura without the supervision and direction of an orthodontist may result in adverse unintended consequences.
- What type of battery does AcceleDent Aura contain? The rechargeable battery in AcceleDent Aura is a medical grade lithium ion battery.
- What should I do with my AcceleDent Aura once treatment is finished? You should dispose of your AcceleDent Aura as you would with any other device with a rechargeable battery. Reference the “Disposal” section of the Directions for Use manual for further details.
- Is my AcceleDent Aura under warranty? Yes, the warranty details can be found in the Directions for Use manual, click here.
- What does it mean if my Activator stops working and the LED Indicator is flashing alternating green and orange? The Activator will deactivate after completing the equivalent of 18 months of 20 minute daily sessions. If you are in the middle of a treatment plan please contact your orthodontist.
- Why did the date change on my FastTrac Usage Report? If your Activator battery is fully drained and the Activator shuts down (no flashing LED Indicator or vibrations), the date on the Usage Report will reset to January 1, 2012. This only happens if the Activator has not been used. The battery has to be charged when the LED indicates a low battery (shown when the LED Indicator is quickly flashing orange and the Activator is powered on but not charging). For Activators with completed sessions, the time will be reset to the date based on the last session completed. Refer to the FastTrac Usage Report section in the Directions for Use to reset the date, click here.